Our first unit is completed at Bethany and Klickitat! We learned a number of skills that will help us as we read and interpret our Bibles. The next unit will be on the Psalms, and is slated to begin in March, and will run through the Summer with short occasional breaks.
We went through Unit One on a schedule that repeated the same session several times. The main reason for this is that this Bible class could not meet on Sundays at the usual time, because the Sunday schedules of our churches prevented it.
But now our congregations have decided to try something new. For six months, the two churches will each have its own Sunday activities with the pastor present. May through July, Concordia's service and classes will meet in the afternoon. August through October, Bethany's service and classes will meet in the afternoon. After this trial period, the churches will have to decide how they want to proceed from there. One effect of this schedule is that that our Getting Into God's Word classes can meet on Sunday, when it's most convenient for our members to attend.
The Messianic Age (New Testament Unit 1 - Spring, 2012)
We've skipped ahead for now to the unit of Getting Into God's Word that introduces the New Testament. For us, it will lead into the unit on the book of Revelation. From an Old Testament perspective, we will study The Messianic Age long-expected by God's people and foretold by His prophets. The lessons and main texts are as follows.
- The Messianic Age, Micah 4:1-5
- The Person of the Messiah, Isaiah 9:1-7
- The Messiah's Judgment, Zephaniah 1:14-18
- The Messiah as Shepherd, Ezekiel 34
- The Messiah's Work of Rescue, Isaiah 52:13-53:6
- The Messiah's People, Amos 9:11-15
- Misinterpretations of the Messianic Age
Proclaimers (Unit 3 - Fall, 2011)
See the topics and readings for this unit To see it, login as a guest.
The Psalms (Unit 2 - Fall, 2010)
Unit Two is on the Psalms. We study a psalm in class, and students receive a handout to study a similar psalm on their own at home. The order of psalms studied in class is as follows:
- Psalm 51
- Psalm 22
- Psalm 16
- Psalm 2
- Psalm 110
- Psalm 48
- Psalm 37
- Psalm 103
- Psalm 104
- Psalm 105
- Psalm 31
- Psalm 80
- Psalm 109
- Psalm 26
- Psalm 90
- Psalm 91
- Psalm 15
- Psalm 119
- Psalm 84
- Psalm 96
- Psalm 139
Getting Into God's Word will span several units of lessons, designed to help you get the most out of your Bible. It's appropriate for ages ten and up, for both members and non-members.
The units are as follows:
- Bible Study Skills (Completed Feb 2011)
- The Psalms (Completed Summer, 2011)
- Proclaimers (Noah, Hannah, David, Isaiah, Balaam, Jonah, Deborah...; 10 lessons)
- Major Prophets (Isaiah through Daniel; 18 lessons)
- Minor Prophets (Hosea through Malachi, without Jonah; 12 lessons)
- Messianic Age (How the Messianic age is foretold in the OT; 7 lessons)
- John's Gospel (12 lessons)
- Romans (9 lessons)
- Galatians (11 lessons)
- Ephesians (7 lessons)
- 1 and 2 Peter (10 lessons)
- Revelation (12 lessons)
During the summer (June-August), we can arrange activities as needed for young children whose parents attend the class. Please call in advance if you are interested in this. During the school year, young children may attend Sunday School.