We are using the online course software called Moodle to organize our class. To participate, students and parents need to log in on the moodle part of this web site.
We learn the Small Catechism of Dr. Martin Luther. This catechism consists of key portions of the Bible, along with the Apostles’ Creed. Each section has a brief explanation written by Dr. Luther. The Catechism is like a mini-Bible that students will carry with them in memory, hopefully for the rest of their lives.
The six chief parts of the Small Catechism are:
- The Ten Commandments (in the ordering used by Lutherans and Roman Catholics)
- The Apostles’ Creed
- The Lord’s Prayer
- The Sacrament of Baptism
- The Office of the Keys, and Confession
- The Sacrament of the Altar
Confirmation class is the beginning of adult life in the church, when students begin extensive catechesis (instruction) in the doctrine of the holy scriptures. The course of instruction follows the catechism textbook and workbook published by our synod.
Helps for Parents
- How to Memorize This simple guide comes from the textbook for memory work also available from this web site.
- Memorization tool (Highly recommended! Use it often!)
- Form for Taking Notes on Sermons Blank copies are also kept on or near the narthex table, but you can print out more for yourself from this file.
- Catechism Text
- Books of the Bible in sections
- FITB Catechism Quizzes
- Sample Written Test on all material, based upon the text book, work book, and some of the memory work assignments.
- Recent Changes to this section of the web site. (If you have an RSS Reader on your computer, you can subscribe to this as a news feed. Click the link in the sidebar under Newsfeeds.)
- Don’t forget the audio of the Small Catechism. CD copies are available upon request.
- Lutheran Catechism Memorization booklets
- Vimeo channel with catechism presentations